PREPAREDNESS FOR CORONAVIRUS
The safety of our students, faculty and staff is our top priority, and we are carefully assessing and pursuing the preparatory steps that are appropriate for our community. We are committed to following the guidance and advice from the Diocese of Lafayette so that our policies and practices are informed by the strongest evidence available.
St. Thomas More Catholic High School is closed until April 30, 2020.
Most Recent Message from Mrs. Leger
Students and Parents,
I hope this update finds you well and safe! As many of you are aware, last week was a challenge mentally, physically, and emotionally for all of us! We have embarked upon a journey that we did not expect to take and moving all learning 100% online has been a feat. Our teachers and students have handled it beautifully. Was it perfect? Absolutely not! Are adjustments needed to be made? Yes! After meeting with our faculty yesterday and discussing the challenges that online learning has brought to us as a school community, we have tried our best to come up with adjustments that we think are fair and consistent across the board. As I stated two weeks ago, our plan would need to be fine-tuned in order to meet our needs.
This week's update includes important general announcements for everyone and critical academic updates for students. I have chosen to send the email update to both of you so that parents are aware of student expectations. Know that we miss you all and are praying for the time when we can all be reunited!
- All diocesan schools will remain closed through April 30. Anticipated school return is now May 1.
- All school activities scheduled for the month of April have been postponed.
- We are working diligently behind the scenes to try to ensure that special activities for seniors will still occur whenever we are able to return.
- We will observe spring break Wednesday, April 8 through Monday, April 13 so that everyone can unplug, put away computers and spend time as a family during Holy Week.
- School facilities and grounds remain CLOSED through April 30th.
- Please remember to send in a Helpdesk ticket if you are experiencing a computer issue.
- COMMUNICATE with your teachers and grade-level counselor if you are experiencing difficulty with assignments or have questions.
- Remember that each teacher has virtual office hours daily. If you contact them outside of these hours, you may not get an immediate response. Be patient and be kind!
- Although online, we are still in school.
- All material covered and assignments given will COUNT in 4th Quarter grades.
- Exemptions will not be made for missed work at the end of the quarter.
- Being organized is crucial to online learning. Make a daily plan for the week. Write down each assignment and when it is due. Follow the plan.
- We do not want to see students being required to attend summer school or seniors not being able to graduate due failure to complete work during this online learning time. Again, everything counts!
- Assignments from LAST WEEK that were not turned in CAN be turned in this week. However, teachers are allowed to assess a late penalty, up to giving only 70% credit for last weeks' assignments. It is no different online than in a regular classroom. Late is late.
- Tests and quizzes are DIFFERENT than regular assignments and WILL have a definitive deadline. They are due on the specified day that they are assigned.
- If a test or quiz was missed last week, it is the student's responsibility to request a makeup from their teacher.
- Late penalties CAN be assessed for missed tests or quizzes.
The deadline each week for submitting assignments without late penalty is Friday @ 10:00 am.
- No new work will be assigned on Monday, April 6 or Tuesday April 7. However, assignments given this week can be given a due date of next Monday and Tuesday.
- Monday and Tuesday of next week will be used as "catch up" days. All assignments, including those that have been given an incomplete for not being turned in, are due no later than Tuesday, April 7 at 12:00 p.m.
- All late assignments for last week or this week that are not turned by Tuesday, April 7th, at 12:00 pm will be given a zero.
- Accountability is critical during this time.