St. Thomas More Catholic High School celebrated the 37th commencement exercises of 242 students Tuesday night at the Heymann Performing Arts Center. Sixty percent of the class earned over $9.5 million in scholarships. This figure does not include TOPS awards, which are yet to be determined. Thirteen students were named Utopian graduates, 52 students were named Chancellor Honors graduates and 26 students were recognized as Scholar Honors graduates. Click here for a listing of our 242 graduates.
Caroline Kennedy served as the mistress of ceremonies while William Hebert delivered the welcoming address.
Rev. Michael J. Russo, Chancellor; Anna Larriviere, superintendent of Diocese of Lafayette schools; STM President Richard Lavergne and STM Principal Kelley Leger presented special awards to the following seniors:
- Ann Clare Fremin, St. Thomas More Award
- William Hebert, Chancellor's Award
- Meredyth Howard and Connor Duffy, Cougars of the Year
- Annabelle Pavy and Haden Coleman, STM Foundation Award
- Anna Lantier, Jay Faugot Studio Fine Arts Award
- Emma Luke and Henry Koke, Alumni Association Award
- Matthew Artall, Rusty Randol Memorial Award
- Olivia Hebert, Carolyn Michot Memorial Award
- Emily Bourque, Margo Comeaux Memorial Athletic Award
- The Principal's Awards were presented to: Anais Begnaud, William Cryer, William Delatte, Mason Duhon, Caroline Kennedy, Emily Landry, Michael Patin, Khoa Pham, Kade Simar, Madison Thibodeaux and Clare Werther
Bishop J. Douglas Deshotel presented the diplomas to the Class of 2019.
Graduate, Catherine Zehnder closed the ceremony with her final words.
During Monday's Graduation Mass, memorial scholarships were presented to four seniors. William Cryer received the Eraste Autin '01 Memorial, Peyton Wilson received the Jacob Crouch '99 Memorial, Landon Sellers received the Mark W. Graham '02 Memorial and Connor Duffy received the Sgt. Patrick Oliver Williamson '04 Memorial.
Clay Womack received the Perfect Attendance Award. Christian Fontenot and Garrett Montgomery were recognized by Fr. Russo as STM altar servers for all four years of high school.